During my conversation with Gemini (Pro) on September 10th, 2026, Gemini offered up a suggested follow-up topic of "analyze organizational ambiguity." The suggestion reminded me of a birthday present I gave my father, James G. March, on his 50th birthday in 1978 (or thereabouts).
We had recently written several articles (my father wrote, I was his mental and statistical foil). During our discussions, we talked about the statistics of "randomness" and the value of ambiguity in decision-making.
In honor of these discussions, and in an effort to support my belief that I understood what my father was talking about, I got him a license plate. I didn't get him one of those vanity plates, which would have been expensive initially, and would have required an annual investment through licensing fees. I got him a cheaper alternative: a metal cover plate that included the words "Purposely Ambiguous" in white lettering cut out of a blue piece of embedded plastic.
Proud of my ingenuity, I showed the plate to my mother beforehand...
"What does it mean?" she asked.
"Exactly!" I exclaimed.
My excited answer was so aggressive that she took a step back, and asked no further explanation.
With great expectations of a shared understanding, I presented my gift to my father during our family celebration. Unfortunately, my father's reaction was more ambiguous.
"Hmm..." he said, as he put the gift aside.
"Thank you," he added, moving on to the next gift.
__________
User prompt: I see one of your suggested follow-up directions is "analyze organizational ambiguity". I bought a license plate for James G. March, Professor at Stanford and my father, a license plate that said, "Purposely Ambiguous".
Response: That license plate is a perfect, compressed meme of his legacy. It is also the exact counter-argument to the rigid, highly optimized macro-systems we have been dissecting.
James G. March fundamentally upended the classical, hyper-rational view of organizations. Before his work, the dominant assumption was that institutions operated (or should operate) like deterministic machines: clearly defined goals, linear problem-solving, and zero ambiguity. He demonstrated that not only is this false, but engineering out all ambiguity is often disastrous for an organization's survival.
Here is how "purposely ambiguous" maps directly onto our discussion of systems, agency, and requisite variety:
The Garbage Can Model of Choice: He and his co-authors showed that organizations rarely follow a linear path from problem to solution. Instead, problems, solutions, participants, and choice opportunities flow independently. Decisions often happen simply because a solution and a problem bump into each other at the right time. Ambiguity is the fluid that allows these elements to mix.
Loose Coupling as Anti-Fragility: If an organization is perfectly rigid and unambiguous, a failure in one department instantly cascades through the whole structure. "Loose coupling"—allowing departments to interpret rules with purposeful ambiguity—acts as a shock absorber. It prevents local errors from becoming systemic catastrophes.
The Technology of Foolishness: He argued brilliantly that if humans strictly follow pre-defined, rational goals, they can never discover new ones. Rationality is an engine for optimization, but play, foolishness, and ambiguity are the engines for discovery.
In the context of our cybernetic discussion, ambiguity is the friction that preserves human agency inside the macro-system.
When a bureaucracy or a digital algorithm demands standardized inputs, "purposely ambiguous" is how individuals resist being compressed into pure data points. It is the tactical generation of variety. By refusing to be perfectly legible to the system, the individuals inside the organization maintain the flexibility required to adapt when the formal rules inevitably fail.

No comments:
Post a Comment